Dear McKinley Families,
As some of you are aware, our school will be undergoing a seismic retrofit this summer. We welcome this work and the safety it will bring to all students, families, and staff at McKinley.
Due to the scope of the work to be completed, our school and campus will be closed for the summer. In order for staff to pack up the school and prepare for construction, the last day of school for McKinley students will be Wednesday, June 14, 2017.
Our school office will retain the usual summer schedule, but our school office will be located at Morningside Elementary School (3513 12th Street SE Salem, OR 97302) beginning the week of June 19th. During this time, you can reach us at our same phone number, (503) 399-3167, and fax number, (503) 316-3527.
We appreciate your support and patience while our school is under construction. If you have any questions about summer construction or activities here at McKinley, please feel free to give me a call.
Principal Katie Shumway
6:30 Welcome and Introductions
6:35 Budget update Jon Hiatt
· Current Balance
· Revenue Forecast
· Recent Income and Earnings
6:45 Garden Update Rebekah Rigsby and Thad Klocksieben
· March Garden Work Party
· Weekly Garden Activities
· Grant Applications
· Garden Baskets (in time for Mother’s Day)
· April 21st Garden Presentation in Conjunction with Movie Night
· April 22nd Garden Work Party
6:55 Fundraising Update Libby Spencer
· Recent Donations from Businesses and Our Response
· Recruiting New Members
7:00 Principal’s Update Katie Shumway
· 2017-2019 Biennium Budget Impact on McKinley
· Overview of Staffing Process as Related to Class Size
7:10 Upcoming Events Carol Suzuki
· April 21st – Read-a-thon, Garden Presentation and Movie Night
· May 5th Art Gallery and Movie Night
· June 9th (tentative) – Carnival
· Volunteers Needed
7:20 Other Items Christine Heyen
· CASA Fun Run
· Additional Fundraisers at Local Restaurants
· South Salem High School Senior Walk
Please click on the link below to view your McKinley Messages for March 23, 2017.
Happy 2nd Day of Spring!
Marion Polk Food Share Collection Barrels are in the building- near the office and in the cafeteria. They will be here through Thursday, March 23rd. If you are able to drop off some food in the next couple of days, that would be great! Our school hours for Wed and Thurs will be 8 AM - 8 PM. Check this link for a list of the most needed items. https://www.marionpolkfoodshare.org/app/uploads/2016/07/Most-Wanted_MPFS-Poster_8.5X11_WEB-2016.pdf
Office Manager, McKinley Elementary
Parent Teacher Club (PTC)
March 14, 2016
- 4th and 5th Grade Overnight Field Trip Proposal
- Update on business sponsor outreach
- Fund raising update on Family Nights
- Artist in Residence Budget carryover discussion
- Discussion of upcoming dates
· April/May/June Calendar
§ Movie Nights
§ Family Dinner nights
- Battle of the Books update
- 5th grade Party/class gift
- Parent Teacher Conference Food Prep Volunteer recruitment/planning
- Principal’s Report/New Business
· Update on Budget/Staffing
· Review of Afterschool Childcare options
- Questions and Future Topics
· Book Fair Follow Up…$2200.00. Very Successful.
· Next year, another movie night mid-week during book fair.
· Scholastic dollars for the library $2200.00.
· 3/7/2017…Café Yumm McKinley Fundraiser 3-7 pm
· Next PTC meeting 3/14/2017
· 3/22/2017 and 3/23/2017 are regular school days = Make up Snow Day
· Read a thon…Friday 4/21/2017, 8 VOLUNTEERS needed from 2-3 (prizes)
· 4/21/2017…movie – Lorax ( Earth Day the next day)
· Parent teacher conferences (only 8 hours available to run conferences vs. 16 hours in previous years – compromised because of the snow days)
- Helpful to bring food in for the first evening of conferences for teachers; email Jacqueline to coordinate
· Hosting first ever career fair, February 23rd, 12 volunteers representing various career choices for students to explore
· Feed Salem – McKinley partnering with Morningstar Church to offer food in the month of April to families in need
· YMCA Childcare – new options for childcare in addition to SKEF
· Kinder Registration beginning today 2/21/2017 – please spread the word to families with incoming kinders
· Last day of school is June 14th; teachers packing up school and must be out by June 16th; no staff will be on campus during the summer because of earthquake readiness improvements
· Aqua gardens in 5th grade classrooms are going well
· Submitting grant applications for funds to build a greenhouse over the summer
· Tasting tables still going, with cider pressing and tasting here at the school last week
· Garden committee intends to have a presence at the school every week
· Mrs. Keene considering bringing back the Garden Blog for 3rd graders for testing week; will coordinate with Garden committee for activities during testing week
· Mrs. Allred – can we get garden boots and gloves for kids to wear
· Farm to School update – uses funds for buying locally sourced funds to get into local healthy foods into school cafeterias; Governor’s budget did not include money for this biennium; brought in $21 million into local communities
Additional notes from meeting on February 21, 2017 meeting: Amazon Smile, Office Depot school match, Roth’s Vista school house donation - can ask Roth’s for the funds that these collections raise (idea of Nicole); Roth’s community board could be a place to post sponsorship opportunities or a way to display thank you pictures/cards for the support the school has received; Cut down on general fund budget by asking a business to pick up costs; Rotary Club of Salem has a grant application process open now for capital improvements
Please click on the link below to view your McKinley Messages for February 24, 2017.
Tell your friends, family members, colleagues & neighbors- all children who will be 5 years old by September 10, 2017 are eligible to start Kindergarten in the fall. To pick up registration packets, please visit McKinley's school office. Our office hours are M-F 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM. The office will also be open extended hours during the school conference evenings, March 23 and March 24 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM.
Our Kindergarten Orientation will be on May 10th from 2:30 PM - 3:30 PM. Please contact the school office and/or check the website for more details as this time draws closer.
Please see the attached letter for important details regarding McKinley's Summer Earthquake Construction Project.
Our McKinley Winter Book Fair is next week! February 6th -10th . Families are welcomed to stop in the Library at any of the times listed below to peruse the wonderful variety of books available to purchase. There is a special night on the 9th for a Family Movie Night during the Book Fair time. Join the fun!
Feb 6 3:15-4:15
Feb 7 8:30-9:00
Feb 8 8:30-9:00
Feb 9 8:30-9:00
6:00-7:00*Family Movie Night in the Gym
Feb 10 8:30-9:00